Testing a game is important. This article covers the tests that were done with the game.
Announced on the 9th of February 2016, the open beta runs from the 18th of February till the 21st of February, where Xbox one users get in a day early and PC and PS4 players start on the 19th.
The open beta was announced to include a new story mission that we didn't see before. It's therefore likely the Madison Field Hospital Mission is still part of the open beta.
Patch notes of changes from the closed beta to the open beta:
- New Mission Available to play, Subway Morgue
- Encounter a new faction: The Cleaners
- Explore a Mass Grave while trying to restore power to the city.
- Rescue the missing Engineer, Paul Rhodes
- Unlock an additional Wing in the Base of Operations
- The first upgrade to the Tech Wing is now available
- A new skill can now be unlocked: The deployable turret:
- Numerous Dark Zone updates and improvements
- New High End weapons available in the Dark Zone
- Refresh rate on Dark Zone chests has been greatly reduced
- Non-player enemies in the Dark Zone have been significantly increased in number
- Non-player enemies in the Dark Zone have been buffed slightly
- The Manhunt Timer now pauses instead of refreshing while in combat as a level 5 Rogue
- The Reward for surviving as a Rogue Agent has been increased to 1.5x the kill bounty
- The Health Bar for Agents in the Dark Zone now only turns red when they actually become Rogue
- A new warning icon has been added to indicate an Agent who has shot another player but has not done enough damage to go Rogue
- Dark Zone experience leveling curve has been adjusted slightly
- Disabled the option to transfer Dark Zone brackets as a Rogue (This prevents players using Bracket Transfer as a means to escape after becoming Rogue)
- Removed some ropes that allowed players to reach areas that gave them an unfair advantage
- Other changes
- New Ubisoft Club Action available for participating in the Open Beta unlocking an exclusive reward in-game
- New and improved Tutorial Video
- Tutorial video is now available to view from the Character Select Screen
- Fixed two bugs that allowed players to become invisible to other players
- Fixed an exploit with Ballistic Shield Skill that allowed players to become invincible
- Cheat Detection and Prevention additions and updates
- Fixed mismatch of stats that occurred occasionally between Vendor Inventory and Player Inventory when item purchased
- Adjusted player movement speed while running with a grenade in hand
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused other player's name and health bar to not be visible in the Dark Zone
- Fixed some Weapon Mods that resulted in incorrect stat values when equipped
- Fixed some weapons that didn't appear as Contaminated when obtained in the Dark Zone
- Fixed a bug with the Reward Claims Vendor that caused stacks of consumables to be decreased under specific : circumstances
- Fixed a bug with stats display not updating when browsing Vendor Inventories
- Fixed a bug that caused continuous vibration under very specific conditions
- Fixed a very rare bug that prevented players from being able to fire or switch their weapons
- Added mission Dialogue lines in Missing Persons: Heather Lau Side Mission
- Several environment fixes to prevent falling through world issues in specific places
- Multiple stability fixes (23 unique crashes fixed)
- Server optimizations and improvements (players will receive less connection errors now)
- Multiple localization fixes and improvements
- Fixed a bug where the screen would turn red after using a healing kit or respawning in certain conditions
- Additional polish & bug fixes too numerous to mention!
The closed Beta ran from the 28th of January 2016 until the 2nd of February 2016. The first day was an Xbox One exclusive, with PC and PS4 joining 24 hours later. It was originally announced to only last till the end of January 31st, but then got extended.
The entire length of the beta, was streamed also live on the official twitch channel with various people showing different aspects of the game and answering questions.
In the beta you started in Camp Hudson as level 4 player and then could progress until level 8 and Dark Zone rank 12. Besides numerous encounters and side missions, you were limited to Chelsea, Pennsylvania Plaza and a bit of Garment District. This included the story mission Madison Field Hospital that would unlock your first wing in the Base of Operations. You could also explore the Dark Zone areas DZ01 and DZ02.
For participation in the closed Beta players would get a exclusive hat item (cosmetic only). The item should unlock by simply having participated, no actions required from your part. It is tied to your account.
This list of stats was released about the closed beta:
- 621'653'358 Minutes played total (10 Million hours, or 430k days, or 1'182 Years)
- One out of every 120 players, played for 90 hours.
- 6'887'218 Games played (unsure what 'games' refers to here exactly)
- 298'031'224 Total kills
- 9'288'002 Total Grenades thrown
- 14'995'669'168 Total bullets fired
- Most lethal of all Weapons used: M4
- 7'154'867'522 Car doors closed
- 4'275'086 hours spent in the Dark Zone
- 77% of players ventured into the Dark Zone
- 87% of all players turned rogue
- 6'096'186 players got to the chopper
The closed alpha ran only on Xbox One.
For participation players got an exclusive short bow skin.